Pregnancy can be such an exciting time – looking through baby name books, planning nursery colors, dreaming of what this little person will be like, and sharing those dreams with loved ones. But for those who have trouble conceiving or experience miscarriage, the experience is entirely different, often filled with fears and frustrations, insecurities and guilt, wondering what could have been done differently, and trying to decide what to do next. On top of that, it’s typically a very isolated experience, as we don’t talk about the challenges of fertility and pregnancy very openly in our culture.
We are here to help, wherever you are on this spectrum.
We offer the following comprehensive programs to support your healthy fertility and pregnancy. Our team approach helps you feel your best physically, heal emotionally and recognize the beautiful essence of YOU.
NURTURE: YOUR FERTILITY JOURNEY
Chinese Medicine significantly increases your likelihood of becoming pregnant and sustaining a healthy pregnancy. Blue Heron provides acupuncture, bodywork, herbal medicine, essential oils, dietary counseling, mindfulness and stress reduction techniques to prepare your body for conception. Incorporating a Western understanding of fertility issues, we thoroughly discuss your health history, look at your lab work and temperature charts, help you communicate more clearly with your OBGYN, provide you with resources to improve your fertility, and rely on a deep understanding of Chinese medicine patterns that nurture your health and ability to conceive.
Acupuncture also has tremendous impact on the success of Assisted Reproductive Techniques, such as IVF and IUI. We provide treatments that bring vitality to your uterus, nourish your blood and hormones, reduce stress, and calm and uplift your spirit.
Not only do we work with you to help you achieve your fertility goals, we support you as a whole person. This means offering a safe space for you to express your emotions about the process, accept yourself, ease self-criticism, process and let go of painful emotions, and soften into the experience.
Our fertility services include:
- Acupuncture – Strengthens your ability to conceive, encourages circulation and vitality to your uterus and ovaries, nourishes your blood and hormone levels, moves stagnation, decreases inflammation and autoimmune reactions, and facilitates emotional healing.
- Bodywork – We offer massage and neurostructural integration technique, both of which open the pelvis to support circulation to the reproductive organs, relax muscular and mental tension, calm the sympathetic nervous system, and boost your parasympathetic nervous system, which allows your body to return its priority to your hormones and fertility.
- Nutrition – Healthy fertility begins with the foods you eat each day. We discuss foods and recipes that support your body’s hormones, circulation and vitality while decreasing inflammation, stagnation and anxiety.
- Resources – Health tips, dietary information, acupressure points, recommended supplements and mindfulness exercises to encourage conception.
Using the Five Elements, Chinese Medicine supports pregnancy from conception through labor. Conception relates to the Water (Kidneys) and Metal (Lungs). The Kidneys equate to the parents’ DNA and sperm and egg health. The Kidneys are the foundation of reproductive health. The Lungs bring the “spark” that makes conception happen. They invite divine or cosmic inspiration to meet with the jing, or DNA, of the parents to create a new life. The Lungs relate to the breath in, welcoming new life, and the ability to let go via exhalation.
Read on to learn how we can improve your health during the different trimesters as well as the “fourth trimester”, restoration after you have been pregnant.
NOURISH: HEALTHY STAGES OF PREGNANCY
Our team provides acupuncture, bodywork, nutrition, resources and health tips to help you have a healthy pregnancy, connect with baby and feel your best.
First Trimester – Earth (Spleen/Stomach). Earth represents the digestive system. The first trimester is all about nourishing mother and baby to support growth. Earth also encourages the body to lift and hold the pregnancy. Typical first trimester symptoms reflect the role of the Spleen and Stomach during this time – nausea, bloating, fatigue and mild cramping.
Second Trimester – Fire (Heart). The second trimester is a great time to tone the cardiovascular system and nourish the spirit. As the baby’s nervous system is developing, it is beneficial for Mama to keep calm and collected. Acupuncture can ease anxiety, improve sleep and reduce stress. Strengthening circulation decreases swelling and pain. The heat of Fire can lead to acid reflux and heartburn, also alleviated by acupuncture and herbs.
Third Trimester – Wood (Liver/Gallbladder). As one approaches labor, it is time to get active! The yang energy of Wood helps one get the body moving and ready to bring your little one into the world. Treating the Liver and Gallbladder also eases pain and tension, including that of the back and hips.
Our pregnancy services include:
- Acupuncture – Helps your body sustain a healthy pregnancy, decreases nausea and acid reflux, addresses body aches and pains (think carpal tunnel, swelling, tight hips, back pain), and aids sleep. We also include points for a happy, healthy baby!
- Bodywork – We offer massage after your first trimester and neurostructural integration technique throughout your pregnancy. Your body is working hard to care for your growing baby, and bodywork feels amazing during this time! Both techniques are lovely options to ease tight muscles, open the pelvis and hips, decrease TMJ and carpal tunnel, reduce swelling, calm your digestive system, and nurture restful sleep. They also are excellent go-tos as you prepare your body for labor.
- Nutrition – Wondering what to eat to have a healthy pregnancy and feel your best? Schedule a Health & Nutrition Coaching session to explore the best options for you and your baby. Dana Bufalino will help you ensure you’re getting adequate nutrition while making suggestions to alleviate digestive discomfort.
- Resources – Health tips, dietary information, acupressure points, safe supplements and mindfulness exercises to ease your mind, encourage a joyful spirit and help you connect with your baby.
Did you know acupuncture and bodywork can help you have an easier labor and even turn a breech baby? We recommend beginning weekly treatment around weeks 34 to 36 to help you achieve these goals. (p.s. You are welcome to come in weekly at any point during your pregnancy to help you feel your best!)
RESTORE: YOUR POSTPARTUM RECOVERY
After giving birth, it is important to replenish your body. It has worked hard these past ten months and can use boosting to keep you healthy and strong. Our postpartum program includes acupuncture, bodywork and nutritional support to help you rebuild your resources, harmonize hormones, improve your sleep and boost your mood during the ups and downs of having an infant.
Our restoration services include:
- Acupuncture – We focus on nourishing your body, blood and hormones, easing aches and pains, strengthening lactation, and supporting your emotional journey through motherhood.
- Bodywork – Back pain, shoulder aches, sore boobs, little sleep, oh my! Massage and neurostructural integration technique are amazing options to help you nurture yourself after all the feeding, diaper changing, spouse reassuring, and running around you’re doing for others. Savor relaxing self-care and know that you’re doing your body good while you’re at it. p.s. Both of these forms of bodywork are great aids for lactation and issues of the breast (clogged ducts, mastitis).
- Nutrition – Nourishing foods are key after giving birth to help you restore your resources, feel energized, regulate hormones, promote lactation and lose weight. Health & Nutrition Coaching sessions with Dana Bufalino to help you enjoy this special time of the “fourth trimester” and take care of both your baby and yourself.
- Resources – Health tips, dietary information, acupressure points, recommended supplements and mindfulness exercises to strengthen your spirit and resources, build your body back up, balance hormones and help you connect with your baby.