FERTILITY & PREGNANCY
Pregnancy can be such an exciting time – looking through baby name books, planning nursery colors, dreaming of what this little person will be like, and sharing those dreams with loved ones. But for those who have trouble conceiving or experience miscarriage, the experience is entirely different, often filled with fears and frustrations, insecurities and guilt, wondering what could have been done differently, and trying to decide what to do next. On top of that, it’s typically a very isolated experience, as we don’t talk about the challenges of fertility and pregnancy very openly in our culture.
We are here to help, wherever you are on this spectrum.
Chinese Medicine significantly increases your likelihood of becoming pregnant and sustaining a healthy pregnancy. Read on to learn how we can improve your health during the different trimesters as well as before and after you have been pregnant. Acupuncture also has tremendous impacts on the success of Assisted Reproductive Techniques, such as IVF and IUI.
Not only do we work with you to help you achieve your health goals, we support you as a whole person. This means offering a safe space for you to express your emotions about the process, nurturing your acceptance of yourself, and encouraging you to soften into the experience.
Using the Five Elements, Chinese Medicine supports pregnancy from conception through labor:
- Conception – Water (Kidneys) and Metal (Lungs). The Kidneys equate to the parents’ DNA and sperm and egg health. The Kidneys are the foundation of reproductive health. The Lungs bring the “spark” that makes conception happen. They invite divine or cosmic inspiration to meet with the jing, or DNA, of the parents to create a new life. The Lungs relate to the breath in, welcoming new life, and the ability to let go via exhalation.
- First Trimester – Earth (Spleen/Stomach). Earth represents the digestive system. The first trimester is all about nourishing mother and baby to support growth. Earth also encourages the body to lift and hold the pregnancy. Typical first trimester symptoms reflect the role of the Spleen and Stomach during this time – nausea, bloating, fatigue and mild cramping.
- Second Trimester – Fire (Heart). The second trimester is a great time to tone the cardiovascular system and nourish the spirit. As the baby’s nervous system is developing, it is beneficial for Mama to keep calm and collected. Acupuncture can ease anxiety, improve sleep and reduce stress. Strengthening circulation decreases swelling and pain. The heat of Fire can lead to acid reflux and heartburn, also alleviated by acupuncture and herbs.
- Third Trimester – Wood (Liver/Gallbladder). As one approaches labor, it is time to get active! The yang energy of Wood helps one get the body moving and ready to bring your little one into the world. Treating the Liver and Gallbladder also eases pain and tension, including that of the back and hips.
- Postnatal – After giving birth, it is important to replenish your body. It has worked hard these past nine months and can use boosting to keep you healthy and strong. Acupuncture is also great to improve your energy, sleep and mood during the ups and downs of having an infant.